Courier services have never been in so much demand ever before. In the past, people preferred to shop for their favorite products from a traditional store. Couriers often only facilitated the secure transfer of parcels between companies.
However, with the advent of the Internet, there is a tremendous surge in the number of people shopping online and needing courier services. More consumers and commercial establishments are looking for cheap interstate courier services to help keep up with the demand. Given the increasing fuel and transportation costs, and the growing demand for couriers to safely ship items to both domestic and foreign locations, parcel delivery costs are on the rise.
With courier services now becoming essential, it is important for businesses and individuals to select a courier firm that offers the best value for money.
Parcel delivery costs depends on several factors such as the weight or volume of the parcel, the size of the delivery parcel, the delivery destination, the type of content, as well as the schedules for collection and delivery.
The destination, parcel size and content determine the type of vehicle (large, small, open, closed etc.) needed to effect the shipment and the associated costs. Similarly, the content to be shipped also influences the costs of transportation. For example, fragile or expensive content may need additional care for being delivered intact at the destination. Perishable goods, on the other hand, may need special handling.
While quality parcel delivery services come at a price, here are few tips to save money on couriers:
• Most courier firms like TNT and City Link won’t sell directly to private senders so use a parcel delivery broker like My Parcel Delivery who work with a wide choice of couriers, enabling customers to compare quotes from different couriers before deciding on the best offer.
• When using a broker your parcel delivery will actually be managed by the broker site not the courier so any customer service issues and complaints will need to be dealt with through the company you booked with. Therefore you should check out a companies reputation on review sites or ask around on online forums to ensure the company you book with can be trusted with your parcel.
• Making note of the dimensions of the item to be couriered and using these details to obtain quotes will help avoid the risk of being overcharged.
• Delivery and collection schedules and locations also influence the courier costs.
• Picking up or dropping a parcel at the courier collection centre will certainly save money, especially if the destination is remote. However, it is important to ascertain the storage costs before opting for door delivery.
• Similarly, opting for a collection or delivery schedule during weekends or at odd hours of the day may also prove costly.
• Express delivery and same-day delivery requests may come with additional costs, and need to be exercised only when absolutely necessary.
• Bulk shipments allow customers ship a number of parcels at a cost-effective price, either to the same location or different locations. Regular customers are often entitled to discounts.
Courier services ensure safe and timely delivery of contents across destinations, and service costs vary from one company to another. Saving money on couriers does not stop with the shipment charges and bulk shipment discounts. It is important to ensure that the courier company is insured to compensate its customers for any damages caused or goods lost during transit. Choosing a courier company that offers online tracking and customer support helps minimise on expenses that incurred on independently tracking the delivery of the parcel.