Personal injury claims are often very serious but the increasing amount of false claims has not only left many with higher insurance costs, but also given us a bit of laugh. If you’ve ever wondered what people genuinely make personal injury claims for, we’ll be looking at some of the most outrageous and downright humorous personal injury claims made in the past later in the article.
Personal injury claims are almost always in the headlines, especially due to the increase in false claims. It’s very difficult to tell the difference between false claims and completely genuine claims at times, so what exactly do you have to do to separate the true injuries from the tell tales?
It’s fair to say that we’re no longer all oblivious to the personal injury adverts that seem to pop up left, right and centre on TV nowadays, but most of the examples provided in these adverts are of people who seem to have suffered reasonably generic injuries as a result of the most predictable of accidents, such as falling off a ladder during construction work or slipping in a puddle carrying heavy objects.
Well we were intrigued to read up on injury firm Edward Hoyle’s Strangest Claims, which was a list of 10 weird personal injury claims released back in 2012. There are some quite perplexing incidents in this list that include elements of both the reasonably serious and the downright bizarre!
- A man was leaning on a balcony during a cigarette break when the balcony suddenly decided to give way, causing the man to fall to ground level along with the balcony and his cherished cigarette.
- A man was helping to load numerous products onto the back of a lorry but was subsequently injured after the driver of the vehicle, completely unaware of the man loading the goods, drove off with the lorry doors still open. This resulted in the future claimant loading the vehicle to fall out of the lorry while the driver obliviously continued his journey to the required destination.
- A lady was injured after slipping on a pool of spilled gravy which had been left unattended on the floor. The claimant injured her back and was probably put off returning to said restaurant in future.
- A man who had previously injured himself in a night club incident was walking on crutches with his children in the park. He ended up getting one of his crutches stuck, causing a second fall and another injured leg.
- A man decorating his bathroom fell through some floorboards that gave way and was forced to hang there until the fire brigade showed up.
- An elderly woman got stuck in the doors of a lift at her local Bingo hall, where she remained for 15 minutes until she was finally freed.
- A man leaving his local chemist on foot was left bewildered after the barrier closed on his head. Ouch!
- A man was knocked off of his scooter after the barrier stopped him from leaving his local car park. The scooter failed to realise the driver had been lost and continued to make its way home without him.
- A woman was sucked into the filter of her local gym hot tub, causing injuries to her back.
- An elderly mans’ mobility scooter spontaneously combusted in front of him, requiring witnesses to drag him free and away from the growing flames.
There you have it- the top ten strangest personal injury claims experienced by injury firm Edwards Hoyle. If you’re aware of any bizarre instances that have led to personal injury claims, have your say below.